Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Loaded Cheddar Bacon Beer Bread Muffins

Loaded Cheddar Bacon Beer Bread Muffins.
Now that's a mouthful.
Literally, a cheesy, bacon-y, super satisfying mouthful.


You know those meals or dishes that your mom or dad used to make that bring back your favorite childhood memories?  One of my fondest is my dad's beer bread.  Sadly, I don't have one specific memory that comes to mind whenever I think of, smell, or inhale beer bread.  It's more about the scent and taste memories that really take me back to being a kid again.  My dad would occasionally make beer bread for parties. But usually, he made it on a typical day, so that some ordinary day could become exciting, and I'll use the cliche, extraordinary.  It was on those days that I'd rush into the kitchen with a huge grin on my face because I could smell the delicious aroma of the beer bread baking in the oven.  Those were some of the best days.


It's hard to describe the taste of beer bread, but nothing compares.  It's just so different, and for me, one of the ultimate comfort foods, especially when paired with a hearty bowl of beef stew (another one of my dad's specialties).


I should probably mention that this is no ordinary beer bread recipe.  My dad stuck to a traditional, no-fuss recipe.  This version of beer bread (adapted from Evil Shenanigans) is like my dad's, but it's more like Dad's Beer Bread 2.0.  And I'm happy to say, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  Why?  Because this souped up beer bread is full of bacon, cheddar cheese, bacon, onions, and bacon.  I don't think you could go wrong with any single one of those ingredients, especially...the bacon?


It's full of that unique beer bread flavor, but also loaded with crispy bacon, tender onions, and gooey cheese that take these moist little muffins to the next level.  You can also bake these as a single loaf in a loaf pan.  Just adjust the cooking time to 55-60 minutes.  An extra sprinkling of cheese on top never hurt anyone either ;).


So what beer should you use?  Your favorite!  Or you can use whatever you have left over in the fridge.  I've experimented with different pale lagers and wheat ales, and they always turn out amazing.  I found that even fruity beers work for a twist on the traditional beer bread flavor.  Try the original or raspberry Shock Tops for instance.


But for this particular day, I chose Blue Moon.  It's my steady, no-fuss standby.


I think this close-up says it all...time to bake up these beauties!  Fill up your kitchen with that delicious beer bread aroma, and even better...feed 'em to your belly.  It'll thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment