Sunday, August 10, 2014

Grain-Free Cinnamon Waffles

You know what I really miss as a side-effect of trying to eat grain-free and low-carb?  Waffles.  I miss waffles like I would miss bacon on a vegetarian diet...but luckily, that will never happen.  Girl's gotta have her bacon.


Anyways, back to waffles.  I finally found the cure to my waffle blues!  After a little Pinterest-ing (okay, maybe a lot of Pinterest-ing...whoever does a little?), I found a recipe by Fake Ginger that looked very promising.  I tried her recipe for coconut flour waffles, and I am so satisfied with the fluffy, delicious, but low-carb results!


With all grain-free recipes, it's always a gamble to see if a recipe will turn out to be anything like the original glutenous, carb-y version of a treat I'm trying to make.  But with this waffle recipe, I was pleasantly surprised at how close the coconut-flour copy cats were to real waffles.  These grain-free waffles are so light and fluffy, because of the beaten egg whites that get folded into the batter, and the texture is bread-like instead of egg-y.  The only flavor of real waffles they are lacking is butter, but that is easily added with a pat on top before you dig in.


These little stacks of heaven are great for those trying fill their bodies with wholesome foods.  They're packed with protein, fiber, and healthy oils (including Omega 3s), and they will leave you feeling full and satisfied until your next meal.  I topped mine with some homemade whipped cream and cinnamon, but the options for toppings are endless.  I almost made a loaded banana and peanut butter waffle, but I decided to keep it simple for this first taste test.


Now it's your turn to try these delicious and healthful breakfast treats that are not only so good, but also good for you!







No comments:

Post a Comment